Open Learning was created to transform teaching and learning at MIT and around the globe through the innovative use of digital technologies
The Engineering Department at Open Learning is looking for a full time DevOps Engineer to join a small but fast growing team with big ambitions to redefine the use of technology in teaching and learning at MIT and beyond.
- Part of a team responsible for the Operations aspect of developing and maintaining MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW)
- Part of a team responsible for the Operations aspect of developing and maintaining MITx, the MIT instance of OpenedX used for residential teaching and learning.
- Work in collaboration with the edX team and Open edX community to improve the Open edX platform
- Developer support (full stack) for the Open Learning Engineering team to develop scalable applications with flexible APIs
- Consulting and operational support for MOOC course teams that develop course-specific software
- Application support, release engineering, systems administration in a 24x7 environment
- Advance best practices with the engineering team through participation in architecture, technical design and code reviews
- Work closely with, brainstorm ideas and incorporate feedback from, the engineering team, MIT community of developers, teachers and learners, Open edX community and open source community at large.
- Use modern infrastructure tools and platforms (e.g. Consul, Vault, SaltStack) to automate AWS/OpenStack cloud environments
- Strong knowledge of UNIX/Linux, especially in virtualized environments such as AWS, OpenStack or Heroku
- Experience with systems configuration management and provisioning tools such as Ansible, SaltStack, Chef or Puppet
- Operational experience with MySQL, PostGreSQL, and MongoDB, including clustering
- Solid familiarity with source code control systems such as Git or Mercurial
- Monitoring and logging systems, using tools like Datadog or Newrelic and ELK or Splunk
- Experience supporting developers and development environments
- Ability to work effectively with both technical and non-engineering personnel
- Experience with Python and the Django framework
- Experience with the configuration of web server software including Nginx, RabbitMQ, Gunicorn, and Elasticsearch
- Experience with continuous integration and testing via tools like Jenkins or Travis/CircleCI
- Interest in learning new containerization technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Interest in designing and adapting software to be twelve factor applications
- Knowledge of best practices regarding infrastructure and application security in a cloud environment
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.