- xTalks: Digital Discourses
The xTalks series provides a forum to facilitate awareness, deep understanding and transference of educational innovations at MIT and elsewhere. We hope to foster a community of educators, researchers, and technologists engaged in developing and supporting effective learning experiences through online learning environments and other digital technologies. To sign up for the xTalks mailing list, click here.
Fendt, Folsom, Desenne & Karger – A Panel Discussion on Scholarly Annotation
There is increased focus on collaborative learning, in the context of online learning environments where multiple individuals create community forums which facilitate engagement and connection.
David Karger, Kurt Fendt, Phil Desenne and Jamie Folsom will contribute to an expert panel on scholarly annotation, moderated by Sanjoy Mahajan. They will discuss how people engage and collaborate online, what impacts annotations have for assessment and what features of annotation tools encourage collaboration and enhance learning. Related articles on digital annotation:
- Successful classroom deployment of a social document annotation system (D.Karger, et al)
- Open Edx Annotation tools: breaking the unidirectionality of online course content (P. Desenne presentation at LWMOOC)
- Annotation Studio Pedagogy Case Studies (Fendt and colleagues)
- Online Reading Informs Classroom Instruction & Promotes Collaborative Learning (D.Karger, et al)
- Annotation Tools on edX for Teaching, Learning & Research (P. Desenne)
Slides from the Annotation Panel are available: