USER EXPERIENCE DESIGNER
The User Experience Designer will be part of a small interdisciplinary team within the Office of Digital Learning that is directly responsible for ideating, designing, and delivering a best-in-class experience for an innovative new digital platform.
Reporting to the Director of Digital Learning Experience, this role will be responsible for following user-centered design principles and processes to plan and design elegant digital experiences that allow key MIT audiences to easily and effectively interact and engage with content and each other, while showcasing the breadth and depth of research and innovation that occurs across the MIT campus.
Responsible for leading the design of digital learner experiences:
· Work with the Director of Digital Strategy and team members to create and maintain a set of effective and compelling digital experiences for digital learners and Institute partners.
· Combine a rich understanding of customer insights, technical capabilities, and experience design principles to translate business and user objectives into compelling digital experiences.
· Create and maintain a set of digital experience wireframes and prototypes as design deliverables. Highly proficient in responsive and mobile first design principles, and ability to design consistent experiences across viewports.
· Create and maintain critical experience design documents that facilitate strategic thinking and smooth handoffs: site maps and flows, pattern libraries and style guides.
· Work closely with various stakeholders to gain a clear understanding of the goals and motivations of both Institute and learners, then ideate and solve complex interaction design challenges.
· Incorporate user-centered design thinking into everything we do: Work with team members to conduct various forms of lean user research, then synthesize user insights into opportunities, and frame solutions.
· Maintain and champion practical usability, accessibility and user experience standards that assure a consistent and intuitive customer experience.
· Effectively visualize and communicate a range of ideas and options in a short amount of time, then create high quality deliverables without extensive guidance or direction.
· Present design solutions to team members and partners, and forge alignment around them by providing the expertise, artifacts and facilitation required to enable effective user experience decisions.
· Ability to effectively juggle a variety of projects and priorities, synthesize inputs and information from a variety of sources, and independently manage his/her own schedule in relation to the project timeline.
· 6+ years of experience in experience design, information architecture, human factors engineering and/or usability engineering.
· A professional history of proven results in a variety of digital experience settings, such as ecommerce or digital learning.
· An ability to think strategically about maintaining consistent and modular design patterns across a variety of pages and interactions.
· Demonstrates a passion for continuous improvement and humanizing interfaces in the service of simple and elegant solutions that are useful, effective and enjoyable
· Ability to create, communicate and deliver a user experience strategy across multiple touchpoints and platforms.
· Ability to work with various design and prototyping platforms (Axure, Balsamiq, Sketch, etc) to create beautiful designs.
· Solid understanding of analytics, and the ability to surface key patterns across different experience measures.
· Ability to effectively multi-task in a fast paced work environment, and correctly balance strategic priorities against pragmatic constraints.
· Effective as primary interface to other stakeholders for requirements gathering & solution delivery.
· Highly skilled at collaborating cross-functionally within teams and across business areas.
· Excellent presentation and visual/oral/written communication skills. Proven ability to influence and create alignment around complex strategies.
· Education Level: Level 5 - BA/BS or equivalent
· Experience Level: 6+ years
One year temporary position renewable on an annual basis.
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.