Faculty just getting started with digital learning have multiple pathways to choose from. You can set out to have a residential impact, a global impact, help further learning research, or do all of the above. ODL views digital learning as a continuum; therefore, each path complements the other to allow faculty flexibility as their goals evolve.
starting points for MIT Faculty
Use digital tools to enhance the learning experience for students on campus. Utilizing the Residential MITx platform in your on-campus class is a great way to get your feet wet with digital learning. Create online problem sets for your students, shoot some videos to complement your in-class lectures, or even redesign your entire course as a flipped classroom. Whatever you produce can later be repurposed in a massive open online course (MOOC), or shared on MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW).
- Apply to the MITx Grant Program.
- Self-author your course on Residential MITx.
- Request a consultation with the Residential team for any questions about leveraging technology to improve teaching & learning for MIT students.
MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW)
Publish materials from an existing residential course on OCW under an open license. This is the least labor-intensive option and often reaches the broadest audience. OCW course materials are a solid foundation for exploring other digital learning projects. For instance, some faculty have reused video lectures from their OCW courses in later MITx efforts.
Create a massive open online course (MOOC) on the edX platform and offer it to learners everywhere, for free. MITx courses give you global reach and the ability to impact thousands of learners. The MOOC you develop can be used later for residential teaching, or you can conduct both a MOOC and a classroom course simultaneously.
Choose your own path
If you don’t know where to start, the Open Learning staff is happy to consult with you and help you assess your options. The possibilities are endless, and it’s easy to get started. Please use the links below to explore your options.
- Integrate digital learning technology into your residential teaching with Residential MITx.
- Share your course materials with learners and educators worldwide via OCW. Publish course materials online.
- Create a MOOC and offer it on edX to learners around the world. Visit MITx.
MIT Video Productions (MVP)