Festival of Learning 2017
The event is in the past.
The festival was a two-day celebration of learning featuring national thought-leaders, Satya Nitta from IBM Watson and Andrew Sutherland of Quizlet.com. The faculty lightning round highlighted five MIT instructional innovators. A Learning Expo provided hands on activites to the MIT community, and a student hackathon engendered four new digital initiatives. Read more about the Festival in this MIT news article. #MITFOL17
Wednesday, Feb 1
- Introductory remarks, Chancellor Cynthia Barnhart.
- Keynote address by Satya Nitta of IBM Watson Education: "Watson and the Future of Learning Science and Technology".
- "Pursuing the Matrix: Applying IBM's Watson to Education": neurobiology PhD student Sarah Bricault's reflections on Nitta's talk.
- Teaching @ MIT Lightning Round with MIT faculty videos:
- Learning Expo highlighting educational initiatives and projects throughout MIT.
- Keynote address by Andrew Sutherland of Quizlet.com: "Empowering Students and Teachers".
- Student reflection on Sutherland's talk by MIT architecture major Effie Jia MIT '20.
Thursday, Feb 2
- MICROTEACHING: practice teaching sessions with the Teaching & Learning Lab
- Hackathon Conclusion: presentations, judging, awards.
This event was for members of the MIT community. Registration requests from others were evaluated on a case-by-case basis, as space permitted. Please email email@example.com with questions.
Sponsored by MIT's Office of Digital Learning (ODL) and: